The tourist and populous city of Torrevieja (Alicante, Costa Blanca, Spain) not only offers sun and beach to those who visit it, it has a rich historical and cultural heritage, as well as an interesting history derived, above all, from the salt industry and the fatal earthquake that occurred in March of the year 1829. A visit to Torrevieja must include, at least, the fundamental sites that are proposed below:
1. Parque del Molino del Agua.
The water mill park is an important pine forest, about 17 hectares in length, in whose subsoil there was a freshwater aquifer until not long ago. In the park you can see several of the old wells.
2. Parque Natural de las Lagunas de La Mata-Torrevieja.
The natural park of the lagoons of La Mata and Torrevieja has an extensive protected area of about 3700 hectares, with two lagoons: the lagoon of Torrevieja, pink; and the lagoon of La Mata, green, in which is the information center of the park, from whose facilities you can make an excursion through the environment.
3. Torre de La Mata.
The origin of the tower of La Mata dates back to the 14 th century, although it is believed that it was erected on a previous tower. In front of the tower there was a small pier in which the salt coming from the lagoon of La Mata was loaded, in different boats.
Just for the views, it is worth visiting some of the beautiful rocky coves of Torrevieja. One of the best known is Cala Ferrís (formerly, Lo Ferri), located to the south of the urban center and surrounded by numerous palm trees.
5. Parque de la Estación.
Next to the park of La Estación (the Station) runs the Acequión, channel that was built between 1482 and 1509 to convert the Torrevieja lagoon into a fish pond, which never gave the expected results. The buildings located in the park (Habanera and Natural History museums) were part of the old railway station, which linked Torrevieja with Albatera.
6. Parque de las Naciones.
The park of the Nations constitutes one of the most important green spaces of the urban nucleus of Torrevieja. In its interior we can find the Hermitage of San Emigdio (patron of the city), as well as a large European map surrounded by a lake, and the old reservoirs of the great estate of Cerco Casciaro, which once stood here.
7. Parque del Molino.
In Torrevieja there were, until the beginning of the 20th century, some windmills. In the park of the Mill we can see a replica of it.
8. Sociedad Cultural Casino de Torrevieja.
The Torrevieja casino is located in a beautiful modernist building erected at the end of the 19th century. Inside we can see an amazing main hall, as well as a neo-nazari style room.
9. Iglesia Arciprestal de la Inmaculada Concepción.
The building of this church was erected in the late 19th century on another earlier, late 18th. For its construction some of the stones of the old tower that gave name to the municipality were used: the Old Tower. It is located in front of the Plaza de la Constitución, in the center of the urban framework that engineer Larramendi drew, after the fatal earthquake of 1829.
10. Plaza de Oriente.
In Plaza de Oriente we find the modern Church of the Corazón de Jesús (Heart of Jesus), which was erected in the place that occupied an old hermitage.
11. Paseo de Vista Alegre.
This promenade is next to the Real Club Nautico de Torrevieja and Eras de la Sal. Here you will find interesting sculptures and a monument dedicated to the Habaneras, as well as one of the Torrevieja tourist offices and, two streets away from it, the Museum of the Sea and the Salt.
12. Conjunto Histórico Monumental Eras de la Sal.
In this historical monumental complex we find the pier from which salt was loaded on the ships, from the second half of the 18th century to the mid-20th century. It is closed, although it can be seen from its west end.
13. Paseo Juan Aparicio.
This promenade is located north of the long Dike of Levante, also enabled to walk. A few meters from this dam, inside the port, we find two floating museums: the submarine Dolphin S-61 and the Albatros III patrol boat.
14. Torre del Moro.
This tower dates back to the 14th century and was rebuilt in the 16th century to defend the Mediterranean coast from the attacks of Berber pirates. It is located in Cabo Cervera, in one of the highest points of Torrevieja.